Search This Blog

3.20.2008

Some of My Favorite Books

Here are some of my favorite books. I get many of my books at the library since my budget can't keep up with my reading habits. My favorite book and the one I am most likely to recommend is 1776 by David McCollough.I also loved John Adams also by him. Another good history book I have lately enjoyed was The Forgotten Man by Amity Schlaes, which I don't have at home since that was a library book.
Lately, I have been reading far too many college textbooks, but I have also found some great books through investigating homeschool resources. Joy Hakim wrote an excellent science book called The Story of Science.I've heard she planned to write a series of science books like her series of history books, but the library didn't have them. Her history books are very comprehensive, and my 12 yo daughter liked them. I didn't get a chance to read them, just browse.
I recently did a research paper on Porter Rockwell that I posted at my Modern Education website, and for that project I read several books. Of course I had to read Orrin Porter Rockwell, Man of God/ Son of Thunder by Harold Schindler. Before that one I read Joseph Smith: Rough Stone Rolling by Richard Lyman Bushman. It was an excellent and very informative book that went into the history and times of the man rather than limiting itself to doctrine. It helped me get a better picture of this imperfect but inspired man. I also read The History of Joseph Smith By His Mother edited by Scot and Maurine Proctor. These books taught me to investigate the figures surrounding your subject. Many journals also contained references to Rockwell and good information was found in my mothers History of the Church books that she let me borrow.
My hubby and I have also been reading books to help our relationship. The 5 Love Languages by Gary Chapman was a great help. He also wrote The Five Languages of Apology, and another one about marriage seasons that was also extremely helpful. He also wrote Anger: Controlling a Powerful Emotion which was very insightful if at times flawed by limited doctrinal understanding. Dr Laura Schlessinger's The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands and The Proper Care and Feeding of Marriages were also on my bedside table. I usually like her very much, but the Marriages book was a little flat. It basically repeated the Husbands book and I discovered she is not as good at advising men as advising women. Some think she is a female basher but I think she has a knack for advising women how to improve their marriages. She tends to look for ways that women can make changes (Because after thousands of years we haven't figured out how to change others yet) and that always means our own actions rather than whining about others actions. (Hey, we women like to whine, I know.)
Anyway, that is what I have enjoyed lately. How about you?
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts