Search This Blog

3.19.2008

The Flu and Lilacs

UGH! I’ve had the flu for the last several days. I felt it coming on about Friday, and on Saturday I was just draggin. I should have rested on Saturday but I didn’t and by Sunday I was down for the count. Monday was the worst, Tuesday a little better and today (Wednesday), well so far not too bad but still lurking. Every few years I get the flu. I have been overdue. I am blessed not to get it every year or multiple times per year like some. I am also blessed that my kids don’t get it often either. They usually get it mildly and still go to school or fake sick once a year. This time Megan had it first, then again while I did, but not nearly as bad as me. Nick has been so great to fix dinner and do small things I ask him to do. It’s nice to see a fifteen year old care about his mother. It’s rare, you know.

Yesterday I felt well enough to go pick up Ben from school, and then to go out and finally plant the lilacs in the holes Nick dug for me two weeks ago. I can’t wait to see them grow and flower. Pat didn’t get the BNSF job, so we are not so likely to move again. Whew! I really don’t want anymore moving. I like where we are and I want to stay here. I want to see my flowers grow and bloom. I want to see my trees produce fruit. I want to can it and give it away and enjoy the “fruits” of my little patch of ground here. I want to see my climbing roses climb all over the fences, the vegetables grow each year, and my house change as we work on it a little at a time. I want to be able to say next year we’ll do this or that project and mean it and plan on it and do it. And then plan another year. I want the confidence that we will be around to enjoy it….or hate it and change it again! I DON’T want to think about resale value ever again. I DONT want to do this or that, because it will add market value. The only value I want to add is personal and family memories. I have big plans for this little spot, to make it a heaven for us and our kids and grandkids.

I want to be able to be down with the flu without worrying that I have wasted valuable time. Even time spent sick is valuable, since we learn while we are sick. I learned that I want to have a community and friends that I can count on and that can count on me, who will check on me when I am sick, and tell me about their day and their passions. I want to be happy and content with where I am and who I am. Even when I am sick and miserable or my cabinets are missing three doors and my lilacs are still in the packages.

 

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts